Thursday, December 1, 2011

GeoMetria

GeoMetria icosahedra rattles
Recently I began making a series of polyhedra and Platonic solids. When I was young my mom, siblings and I would make icosahedra, 20-sided objects, like these out of holiday cards sent to us and hang them in the archway of our living room (My MawMaw had done the same with my mom and her siblings growing up). I loved the shape and wanted to try it in ceramic, I picture them collected on a coffee table, bookshelf or mantle. Plus there's a surprise when you pick them up, sound from little solid balls of clay inside that rattle and chime when you shake them.
I playfully referred to the series as GeoMetria; a slant on my name: geometric meaning earth measurement, and Demeter, my namesake, the goddess over the fertility of the earth.  Plato related each of the five convex regular polyhedra to one of the natural elements. As a water sign and swimmer, I was particularly amused to learn that the icosahedra was equated to water because of its smoothness and correlation to the way water flows.
The current pieces are around 1.4in - 4.5in across, some can be strung to hang and I have works in process at the studio that I've grown much larger in scale.
The irregular polyhedra solids are part of a collection of jewelry, strung on vintage chains.

No comments: