Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bangles



Beautiful Rejection Bangles. 
hand-sculpted porcelain and black chicory stoneware 
painted with vibrant glazes and oxides. made in brooklyn.


The Beautiful Rejection Bangles developed while I was carving large sculptural forms. Leftover bits of clay from the carving process collected on my worktable. 
From these discarded bits of clay, otherwise rejects, I reclaimed them and sculpted jewelry pieces that could become beautiful and cherished.



My jewelry collection was inspired by my sculpture and design objects out of a craving 
to continue an intimacy with the clay after the firing and wanting to create a series that could be worn close to the body. As a marketer and copywriter having worked in the beauty industry for many years, this also appealed to my love of fashion. 

So much of the ceramic process is devoted to touching the clay and moulding it with your hands. For many functional pieces this journey continues after it comes out of the kiln - consider the relationship you develop with a great mug, how it feels in your hands or on your lips as you sip coffee or tea from it. It's more opaque when it comes to sculpture, although I'm a big proponent of touching sculptural work post-firing, seeing with both my eyes and my hands (in museums this can be frowned upon). Creating signature jewelry pieces allows me to embrace this relationship with a piece long after it has been moulded from wet earth and stone. 

No comments: